About information disclosure
Information disclosure is a system designed to protect people’s rights and interest as well as actualize true democracy. It secures people’s rights of knowledge and participation in state affairs by disclosing the information that a public institution has recorded, acquired or managed upon people’s request through copying or by announcing information that it obligatorily possesses, voluntarily or following the law.
Requesting information disclosure
- All people Anyone can independently request information disclosure if he or she fully understands the purpose and content of the information disclosure system and the system is affordable for him or her, provided that they are of high school age and older (a delegate is needed for those of middle school age and younger).
- Corporate body Any corporation and organization can request information disclosure as in the public sphere a corporation is no less than a citizen as a subject with rights for social function and has a social value.
- Foreign body Any foreigner staying in or visiting Korea for study or research can request information disclosure. In the case of corporation or organization, it must have an office in Korea.
Decisions for information disclosure
- The public institution’s decision regarding information disclose will be made within 10 days of the request (up to 10 more days can elapse for unavoidable circumstances).
- Listening to the third party If the information is related to a third party, the request is notified to the third party to listen to their opinion.
- Listening to the producer of information If the information was produced by another public institution, its opinion is first listened to before the information is disclosed.
- Non-disclosure request by the third party If a third party is notified of the information disclosure request, the third party can submit an opinion that requests non-disclosure to the public institution.
- Screening of the information disclosure screening committee A public institution installs and operates the information disclosure screening committee for screening whether certain information is to be disclosed.
- Items to be screened by the information disclosure screening committee A subtle information of which the disclosure cannot be decided solely by the head of the public institution. Other information on the operation of information disclosure system.
Notification of decision on disclosure
- The person who requested the disclosure is notified about the decision right after the decision is made on the requested information by the public institution.
- Notification upon the decision of disclosure The date, venue, method, fees and payment of disclosure should be clarified and the disclosure should be done within 10 days after the decision of disclosure.
- Notification upon the decision of non-disclosure The person who requested the disclosure is notified about the decision of non-disclosure right after the decision is made on the disclosure-requested information by the public institution. In this case, the reasons of non-disclosure, the method of objection, and the process of objection should be clearly notified.